Louisiana Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness
Steps To Prevent Mold Growth from Reoccurring:
• Fully dry wet building materials, furnishings and carpets within 48 hours of getting wet, if possible.
• Replace water-damaged items as soon as possible.
• Make sure that heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC) systems are always running to keep the right amount of air flowing inside of the building.
• Keep indoor relative humidity below 60 percent (ideally, between 30 percent and 50 percent). Good airflow and dehumidifiers help to keep humidity low. These items are available at home supply stores.
• Check roofs, ceilings, walls, floors and carpets for water leaks, mold growth or musty odors.
• Fix broken roof gutters.
• Routinely replace air conditioner filters and clean drip pans.
• Make sure that stoves/ovens, bathrooms and clothes dryers are vented to the outside of the home, if possible.
For more information about returning home after floods or other disasters and emergencies, please visit www.dhh.la.gov/emergency.