Region I: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT
Program areas administered by the Risk Analysis Division in Region I:
Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) are the tool the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) uses to determine the flood risk that home and business owners face. They are the official maps of a community on which FEMA has delineated both the special hazard areas and the risk premium zones applicable to the community.
The National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program (NEHRP) seeks to mitigate earthquake losses in the United States through both basic and directed research and implementation activities in the fields of earthquake science and engineering.
The National Hurricane Program (NHP) helps protect communities and residents from hurricane hazards through various projects and activities. Established in 1985, the NHP also conducts assessments and provides tools and technical assistance to State and local agencies in developing hurricane evacuation plans.
For more than 25 years, the Federal Government has been working to protect Americans from dam failure through the National Dam Safety Program (NDSP). The NDSP, which is led by FEMA, is a partnership of the states, federal agencies, and other stakeholders to encourage individual and community responsibility for dam safety.
HAZUS-MH is a powerful risk assessment software program for analyzing potential losses from floods, hurricane winds and earthquakes. In HAZUS-MH, current scientific and engineering knowledge is coupled with the latest geographic information systems (GIS) technology to produce estimates of hazard-related damage before, or after, a disaster occurs.
Mitigation planning is a process for States and communities to identify policies, activities and tools to implement mitigation actions. Mitigation is any sustained action taken to reduce or eliminate long-term risk to life and property from a hazard event.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Most Commented Posts
- RT @CHICKLET_HF: Ppl said i was stupid but bet everyone tryna rock two timbs tod… By firstname.lastname@example.org on April 5, 2017 0
- This morning, a group of technology partners helped us formally launch the Tech… By email@example.com on June 21, 2015 0
- Lots of rain for lots of folks this week. www.weather.gov has your forecast; htt… By firstname.lastname@example.org on June 21, 2015 0
Most Liked Posts
- Winter Storm Lexi Dumps Foot Snow on Long Island By Info Disaster on February 5, 2016 1
- RT @AnninaLuck: Forget #blizzard2017 & think SPRING Win some FAB flip flop earri… By email@example.com on March 14, 2017 0
- RT @CurbedPhilly: Philly is the 1st city in the country to develop a plan to pro… By Info Disaster on May 1, 2016 0